Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Home Base: Portland



Jack, Coco and I arrived in Portland, Oregon, last week and we like it here a lot.  Of course, we arrived in the middle of summer when the sun is shining and the plants are blooming which helps.  It's hard to believe that we're all the way out here (it seems so far to me for some reason) on the West Coast after starting our journey on the East Coast last November.  The three of us have really covered a LOT of ground!
Neither Jack nor I have ever been to the Northwest before and we think that it's a beautiful place.  While I haven't been all over Portland yet, the city itself seems very green with lots of trees and flowers.  It appears to be less about having the the large open lawn and more about the plants and trees. The hydrangea bush in the picture below is on the patio of our apartment building along with lots of potted plants that hummingbirds really like.

Jack, Coco and l like sitting outside watching the birds and enjoying the cool evening weather.  No mosquitos!  It is surprisingly quiet here considering that we are three blocks away from a major retail hub with shops, a mall and a grocery store.  Walkability is one of the things that really appeals to us as we plan our visits or think about a place to live long term and we are in a wonderful location for walking here.  Last week, Jack and I were able to walk to Blossoming Lotus, a great vegan restaurant, for dinner.  It's located next to a coffee shop, across from a Mexican restaurant and down the street from a wine shop and lots of other retail (including the ever present nail salon and cell phone store, of course).  It's the best of both worlds for me; a cross between the good parts of living in the suburbs and the good parts of living in a big city.  I think that I would enjoy city living but a two month stay in New York City showed me that I'm not ready to give up my car!


We have had some disappointing rentals during our cross-country trek but we love the apartment that we've rented here in Portland. Our unit is on the first floor of what is called a streetcar-style apartment building that was built in 1923.  It's located in the Irvington neighborhood of Portland which is full of Craftsman bungalows, Queen Anne style homes and Victorian homes on tree-lined streets.  It's a neighborhood where people live, not a tourist area. The wood-burning fireplace, hardwood floors and tons of windows give the apartment a welcoming feeling.



 

The apartment feels modern and bright even though the building is almost 90 years old.  I've always wanted a sunroom and for the next few months we'll have one here.  It's a great place to drink my coffee in the morning while I watch the commuters ride their bikes to work.  It's a worthwhile exchange for having no dishwasher, I think.  At least for a little while.


Jack and I have learned how little space and how few things we need to make a home feel like home and we think that we could be very happy in a place like this apartment long term.  I do miss my own things, though. 



We are glad to be here on the "Left Coast" for the next few months and we're looking forward to exploring the area.  Jack and I bought a couple of second- hand bikes and plan to get out and about on two wheels as much as possible, although Portland seems to be a very drivable city.  It's a great place to call home - for now!




2 comments: