Monday, February 13, 2012

Our Place in Charleston


Jack and I have been here in Charleston, South Carolina for almost two weeks and it's about time that I post some pictures of the place we're staying in.  We are renting a small frame house which is located behind a larger, three-story home which is also used as short term rental property. When we first saw the house I was not impressed.  I thought that the set-up was pretty odd.  Later, when we walked around the area I realized that lots of homes are set up in the same way.  Probably because space in Charleston is so limited (it's on a peninsula) most homes do not have yard space and many properties have homes in what would be their back yards.    




We have a small living room which is also where Jack works. 

 
When I need a little space, I sit in a chair in front of the window in our bedroom and read or surf the web. 

 
Our kitchen is compact but, unlike our rental unit in New York City, it has an oven and a dishwasher.  

 
I love the granite countertops and the white cabinets. 
Jack and I really like Charleston and the area where we're staying.  I could see living here.  (Of course it's February and 60 degrees outside.  The real test of liveability is in August when it's 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity! ) There are five restaurants within four blocks of our rental, one of which is Fuel, 


which will be featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives tonight.  There is also a yoga studio, a barbershop and a hair salon within the same four blocks. We are within walking distance of the downtown area and two blocks from the free trolley shuttle.  There is a hospital so close that I could walk to the emergency room and the harbor is a fifteen minute walk away. 

Just walking around town we see things like the French Huguenot Church which was built in 1844    


and the Curiosity Shop, which is a cute little antique and collectible shop down the side of a building that is set in sideways to the street and nearby.


This week-end we plan on getting out and doing some more exploring.  I'm excited to try some new restaurants and maybe take a haunted graveyard tour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment