Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Shotgun!


Road Trip!  Shotgun! 

For most Americans, the words road trip conjure up visions of the open road, the wind in your hair, and the radio speakers cranked up to "11".  Before the era of IPODs and playlists, the person riding shotgun (front seat passenger side for those of you who might not be familiar with this expression) was responsible for finding the right music to fit the trip. 

As part of the prep for our upcoming cross country adventure I've been working on a playlist of road songs and it's been a lot of fun.  Between Google and my Facebook friends I've come up with what I think is a pretty great list.  Here are a few of my top picks in no particular order.  I've tried to get videos for most of them so kick back and feel the wind in your hair.  Singing along is STRONGLY encouraged. 


                      Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meatloaf  (why doesn't anyone ever ask me to sing this song at parties?  I know all of the words and I'm AWESOME at it.  It's a great song to sing really loud - perfect for a road trip. )

           Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf  (check out Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper in this trailer from the movie Easy Rider. Wind in the hair, literally.)
                     
                       I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar (Do you remember the yellow
                           jumpsuit?  What a cutie Sammy Hagar was!)

Runnin' Down A Dream  - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Best road trip lyrics ever.  "It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, I had the radio on, I was drivin'. "
             
                Life is A Highway - Rascal Flatts
                               
                                                        

                      Detroit Rock City - Kiss  (I know it's about drugs and death but it's
                                                                           so much fun!)

                                                                   
                Drive My Car - Beatles

Wait! What about Born to Run, Highway to Hell, and Roam?  I've got lots more songs ready to go - so many more songs that the ride should go by pretty quickly.  Jack and I have loaded up the Joadmobile (no rocking chair tied to the top of the car with fraying ropes but pretty close) and we're heading out tomorrow.  New stop New York City.  Here's hoping for clear skies and clearer roads!





2 comments:

  1. Nobody asks you to sing it at parties because its a REALLY LONG song, and everybody runs out of enthusiasm for it about halfway through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can recall one time in particular that you and I were both asked to sing it, and complied very nicely - ALL the way to the bitter end....using pool cues as microphones. It was awesome. (Of course it was fueled by root beer schnapps and chasers...) =D I say, first town you and the Joadmobile pull into, you and Jack find a dive bar with a good juke box, drop in your coins, grab a couple of pool cues and recreate The Magic....

    ReplyDelete